Click here for a printer-friendly version (PDF)
Coffee, Tea and Cake Traditions
- When do Americans drink coffee or tea?
- Do you or your family drink coffee or tea? On what occasions?
- When do Americans eat cakes and pastries?
- Name five cakes or pastries that you would consider American specialties.
- Are there celebrations or occasions in your family, when special cakes or pastries are served? What are these cakes like?
- Name different types of tea and coffee.
- Where do tea and coffee grow?
- What does a tea plant look like? A coffee plant?
- What do you know about the manufacturing process of tea and coffee?
- How do you drink your tea and coffee? With milk and sugar? In a cup or in a mug?
- Can you have tea/coffee and cake outside your home? Where?
- What do you know about German coffee/tea and cake traditions?
- Can you think of a German cake specialty?
- When you have friends over, what do you serve them?
- Are there occasions in your family when you “entertain formally”: Set the table in a special way, decorate the room, serve special foods and drinks?
Back to A Taste of History: Lesson Plan 1
Back to Lesson Plans and Curriculum Ideas